Create Your Own Website With WordPress: For Total Beginners
Out of stock
Are you a business owner who already owns a website? Or, are you building a new website?
This course is aimed at business owners or website owners who do not have a technical background.
What is Covered in the Course?
- Creating Pages
- Adding a Theme
- Recommended Themes
- Creating a Menu, Adding Pages to a Menu, Dropdown Menus
- Posting (for blogging) including Categories
- Uploading Images
- Embedding (e.g. YouTube Videos)
- Basic SEO to help your site rank better
- Recommended plugins (e.g. for your SEO, Security, Social Media, to install Google Analytics)
- Users (controlling who has access to your website)
- Basic Security Plugins
- E-commerce (with the free WooCommerce plugin)
- Sourcing free, and cheap stock images
How the course works:
- On purchase of the course, you’ll be sent a link and some instructions as well as a pre-course survey. The survey gives you a chance to describe how you are and what you do, so the course can be tailored for the participants.
- This will be a ‘live’ course, you will be connected to the facilitator, Dorcas Réamonn via video chat, where you will be able to see and hear her. (If you are visually or hearing impaired, please send an enquiry directly to dorcas via firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The course will take place from 9.30am until 1pm (GMT times) on Tuesdays (next dates TBC)
- There will be a tutorial/chat on Saturdays between the times of 11am and 12.30pm (next dates TBC)
- After completion of the course, you are invited to join the closed Facebook support group.
- As you will be making your own website, you need to have your own domain and your own hosting (and, ideally SSL certificate) in advance. After you register for the course, we’ll check in with you to ensure you know what to buy, and that you have WordPress installed so you are ready to go on the first day of the course.
- On a date TBC, there will be a follow-up session, to give you a chance to ask extra questions that may have arisen about your, by then, hopefully ‘live’ website.
Who will facilitate the course?
Dorcas (Dorcas Réamonn) is an educator who works with UCD Innovation Academy and the Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School of UCD. She has been also teaching private courses and in various organisations (including Local Enterprise Offices) since 2011. She is passionate about educating and gets great feedback from students. While not educating, she works for her own business, Zonua. Zonua makes websites, mainly WordPress websites these days. You can also see some of Dorcas’ previous videos on the YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/zonua.
The course will be co-faciliated by Arnaud (Arnaud Putaux), who has extensive experience with WordPress.
What you need
- Ideally, a laptop, desktop or tablet (with a bigger screen)
- Internet Connection
- Zoom: You can download Zoom for free for desktop, Android or iPhone/iPads. A bigger desktop/laptop screen works best. You do not need to register or pay for an account, we will send you the invite link on sign-up.
- Pen and Paper. If, like me, you like to write notes, then you might want to have a pen and paper beside you. That said, you will have lifetime access to all notes and everything covered here on Go Learn Digital.
- Earphones can be useful.
- Patience. This will be the first time for many participants on an online course. Some people may need some time to figure out how to ask questions, whether by typing or audio. Some people will be called upon by children or will ask questions that you already know the answer to.
- Extra time to do your own work. You’ll get the best out of the course if you work on your own website between classes. You’ll be given pointers of homework to do each week.